rule



 

Canto 4

Govindam Âdi Purusham

 

 

Chapter 7: The Sacrifice Performed by Daksha

(1) Maitreya said: 'Lord S'iva, thus being pacified by Lord Brahmâ, fully being satisfied spoke with a smile, oh mighty-armed one. (2) Mahâdeva said: 'I do not take offense at those whom I regard as children, I do not want to talk about or think about it, oh Lord of the created beings, I corrected the ones who were deluded by the external energy of God. (3) Let there for the Prajâpati whose head was burned to ashes be the head of a goat and let Bhaga look at his share of the sacrifice through the eyes of Mitra. (4) Pûshâ who led the sacrifice will have to eat chickpea dough or food chewed for him, but the godly souls who did grant me a share of the sacrifice will fully recover.  (5) The two arms of the As'vins [the twin protectors of medicine] and the hands of Pûshâ are there for the priests and the others who have to miss their limbs and let Bhrigu have the beard of the goat.'

(6) Maitreya said: 'All who at that moment heard what the best of the benedictors said, were fully satisfied, oh dear one. They said: 'Well spoken, well spoken!' (7) Thereupon Lord S'iva was invited by the godly souls and the sages headed by Bhrigu and together they, with the Liberal One [S'iva] and the Lord of the Veda [Brahmâ], for the second time headed for the sacrifice they wanted to perform for God. (8) After having performed all that Lord Bhava had told them to do, they joined the head of the animal of sacrifice with the body of Daksha. (9) Proceeding thus under the supervision of Rudra, King Daksha immediately regained consciousness like awakening from sleep and saw the compassionate Lord standing before him. (10) The very moment the Prajâpati saw the Lord who rides the bull, his by hatred polluted heart became as clean as a lake [filled by the rains] in autumn. (11) Even though he wanted to pray to Bhava, he with his eyes full of tears could not do so because of the great surge of feelings upon remembering the death of his daughter.  (12) After he with great effort managed to pacify his mind that was overwhelmed by love, the Prajâpati having come to his senses prayed to the Lord with praise and straightforward feelings. (13) Daksha said: 'What a great favor you have done me by punishing me. Despite the fact that you defeated me, you, nor Vishnu, oh Fortunate One, ever deny an unqualified brahmin [like me], so why would he who keeps to his vows [and performs sacrifices, suffer want]? (14) Oh great one, the brahmins were first created from the mouth of Brahmâ in order to disseminate the teachings of self-realization, vows and austerity. Therefore you with a stick in your hand protect them every time they are in danger, just like someone who protects his herd. (15) You who, by me unaware of your reality, were insulted in the assembly with the arrows of [my] unkind words, do not really take heed of that. Seeing me sliding down to hell because I defamed the most respectable one, you saved me out of compassion. I wish you to be pleased about what you did out of your own mercy, your Lordship.'

(16) Maitreya said: 'Daksha thus being forgiven by Lord S'iva, with the permission of Lord Brahmâ resumed the performance of the sacrifice together with the priests, the ones of learning and the others. (17) In order to be purified from having been in touch with Vîrabhadra and his men and to perform the sacrifice meant for Vishnu, the best among the brahmins settled for the oblation called purodâs'a offered in three vessels. (18) Oh Vidura, the moment the leader of the Yajña [Daksha] thus sanctified in meditation offered the clarified butter with the hymns of the Yajur Veda, Lord Hari appeared, the Supreme Personality. (19) The effulgence of all souls present there was at that time overshadowed by the brightness [spreading] in all the ten directions of Him who was carried by the enormous wings of Garuda [or Stotra]. (20) With a dark complexion, garments yellow as gold, a helmet dazzling like the sun, curling hair bluish like black bees, a face decorated with earrings, with a conch shell, a lotus flower, a disc and arrows, a bow, a club, a sword and shield in His hands and with His many golden ornaments, He looked like a blossoming tree. (21) Garlanded with forest flowers He had His consort [Lakshmî] on His chest [in the form of His S'rîvatsa mark] and only a small glimpse of His magnanimous smiling glance was enough to please the entire world. At His side yak-tail fans looking like swans were being waved and above Him one saw a beautiful, moonlike white royal canopy. (22) Seeing Him arriving, all the demigods and the others led by Brahmâ, Indra and the three-eyed S'iva, immediately stood up from their seats and offered their obeisances. (23) Overshadowed by the luster of His glaring effulgence they all fell silent and full of awe touched their heads while bowing down to pray to Adhokshaja, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. (24) Even though His glory is beyond the comprehension of even Brahmâ and such, they now by His grace could see His transcendental form and offer their prayers according to their different capacities. (25) Daksha seeking shelter was accepted with his honorable oblations of sacrifice for the master of all sacrifices, the supreme preceptor of all progenitors of mankind who is attended by Nanda and Sunanda [the most important servants of Nârâyana in Vaikunthha]. With great pleasure, with a subdued mind and with folded hands he then offered Him his prayers. (26) Daksha said: 'You Lordship now fully present here have returned from the purity of Your heavenly abode in a perfect transcendence above all mental speculation. You are the one without a second, the fearless controller of all matter, who seemingly impure are engaged with her [with Mâyâ] as the overseer and self-sufficient One.'

(27) The priests said: 'All of us, not conversant with the truth of You who are free from the influence of the material world, we who are of an intelligence that because of S'iva's curse is of a too great attachment to fruitive activities, oh Supreme Lord, now know about Your name [Yajña] that stands for the arrangement of religious sacrificing operating with the three departments [of the three Vedas] for the sake of which we are engaged in the worship of demigods [like the divinity of the sun and the moon].'

(28) The members of the assembly said: 'On the path of repeated birth and death we have no place to take shelter. We are greatly troubled by being bound to this formidable fort of the king of death [Yama] that is infested by ugly snakes and in which the mirage of the material happiness of having a home and a body constitutes a heavy burden. When we have to live by the double ditch of distress and so-called happiness, the fear for wild animals, the forest fire of lamentation over the interest of the ignorant souls and are afflicted with all sorts of desire, we, with You who gives shelter, enjoy the protection of Your lotus feet.'

(29) Rudra said: 'Oh supreme benefactor, when I, desiring fulfillment in the material world, have fixed my mind on Your precious lotus feet that are cherished and worshiped by the liberated sages, I, with a compassion like Yours, attach no value to it when ignorant people speak against me.'

(30) Bhrigu said: 'From Lord Brahmâ down to every other embodied being, all who, under the influence of the insurmountable material energy, are bereft of the knowledge of their original self, are submerged in the darkness of illusion. They, not seeing You as situated in the self, cannot understand Your situation as the absolute of reality. Oh Lord, You, as the friend of the surrendered soul, be kind to us.'

(31) Brahmâ said: 'When one tries to see Your person, this original form of Yours cannot be perceived with the help of the different [sensual] virtues of respect for acquiring knowledge, for You, who constitute the basis of the knowledge and objectivity of the material qualities, must be regarded as differing from that what is made of material energy.'

(32) Indra said: 'This transcendental form, oh Infallible One, which is there for the welfare of the universe, constitutes a cause of pleasure to the mind and eye. You [after all], possessing the eight weapons held up by Your arms, chastise those who are hostile towards Your devotees.'

(33) The wives of the attendants of the sacrifice said: 'This worshiping in sacrifice as arranged by Brahmâ was devastated by Lord S'iva. May today the beauty of Your lotus-like glance, oh Lord of sacrifice, sanctify the sacrifice that by the anger against Daksha became as still as the dead bodies of the sacrificial animals.'

(34) The sages said: 'How wonderful, oh Supreme Lord, are Your activities to which You, in the exercise of Your potencies, are never attached. Nor is Your Lordship attached to the mercy of Your obedient servant, the Goddess of Fortune Lakshmî, for the grace of whom one is of worship.'

(35) The perfected souls said: 'The elephant of the mind that, being scorched by the forest fire of [sensual] afflictions, is thirsty, having plunged in the river of the pure nectar of Your pastimes no longer remembers that misery and never wishes to come out, just like someone who merged with the Absolute.'

(36) The wife of Daksha said: 'Be pleased my Lord with my respects for Your auspicious appearance, oh abode of the Goddess. With Lakshmî as Your wife You protect us. Our arena knows no beauty without Your arms, oh Lord, just like a headless person does not look very good with only a trunk.'

(37) The local rulers said: 'We doubt whether we can see You with our material senses. You, revealing Your eternal form, we regard as the inner witness by whose grace the entire illusory world can be seen, oh possessor of all, for You appear with the five elements as the sixth one.'

(38) The masters of yoga said: 'They who deem no one as dear as You and see themselves as existing in You and not as separate from You, the Supersoul of all beings, oh master, are very dear to You. And how much more do You, oh loving parent, not value absolutely the faith of those souls, oh Lord, who devoted therewith are of worship? (39) We offer our obeisances to Him who by His personal appearance by means of His material potency determined the fate of each living entity depending his specific inclinations. Him we honor who appeared differently with the many material qualities for the sake of the creation, maintenance and annihilation of the material world and who in His absolute state turned away from the interaction of the basic qualities of matter.'

(40) The Vedas in person declared: 'Our respects unto You transcendental to the modes of nature who constitute the shelter of the quality of goodness and are the source of the austerity and penance in all religions. I nor anyone else really knows You or Your situation.'

(41) Agni, the fire god said: 'By Your effulgence I am as luminous as the greatest fire and may accept in sacrifice the five kinds of offerings mixed with butter. I offer my obeisances to Yajña, the protector of the sacrifices, worshiped by means of the five kinds of hymns of the Veda.'

(42) The demigods said: 'Formerly at the time of the devastation of the era [kalpa] when You as the Original Personality rested in the water and lay down on the snake bed Ananta S'esha, You withdrew into Your abdomen that what You had created and was estranged from You. You upon whom the liberated souls in their hearts meditate in philosophical speculations, we now see present here before our two eyes moving on the path of the protection of us Your servants.'

(43) The denizens of heaven said: 'Marîci and the great sages under the direction of Brahmâ as also Indra and the divinity led by S'iva, are to be considered parts and parcels of Your body, oh Godhead. May we unto the Supreme Almighty One for whom this whole creation is just a plaything, oh Lord, always be of respect and offer You our obeisances.'

(44) The Vidyâdharas [basing themselves on knowledge] said: 'After with Your external potency having obtained the human body and with dwelling in the body, thinking in terms of 'I 'and 'mine', having misidentified himself with it, the ignorant person who takes the body for himself and is distracted by material possessions, also follows the wrong roads of seeking happiness in sense objects. But relishing the nectar of Your topics he can be delivered, even when he drifted far away from that position.'

(45) The brahmins said: 'You are the sacrifice, the offering of the clarified butter, the fire in person; You are the mantras, the fuel, the kus'a grass [to sit on] and the pots; You are the members of the assembly, the priests, the leader of the Yajña and his wife, the demigods and the sacred fire ceremony, the offering to the forefathers, the soma plant, the clarified butter itself and the sacrificial animal [see also B.G. 4: 24]. (46) In the past it was You who as the great boar incarnation [see canto 3.13] from within the waters lifted the world up on Your tusks as easy as an elephant picks up a lotus. Your sound vibration was by great sages like Sanaka arranged as an offering of prayers in the form of a sacrifice, oh knowledge of the Vedas in person. (47) You as that same person we ask to be pleased with us who, failing in performing the sacrifices, are awaiting Your audience. When one sings Your holy names, oh Lord of Sacrifice, one manages to overcome obstacles. Unto You our respectful obeisances.'

(48) Maitreya said: 'Oh blessed one, with Hrishîkes'a [Vishnu as the Lord of the senses], the protector of sacrifices, thus being glorified, Daksha, having learned, arranged to resume the sacrifice that was devastated by Vîrabhadra. (49) Oh sinless one, Lord Vishnu, the Supersoul of all beings and enjoyer of all sacrifices having received His share, was satisfied and then addressed Daksha. (50) The Supreme Lord [Vishnu] said: 'I, Brahmâ and also Lord S'iva, do not differ [essentially] in being the supreme cause and Supersoul, the witness and the self-sufficient one of the material manifestation. (51) I, having entered my own external energy that is composed of the modes of nature, oh twice-born soul, [thus] create, maintain and annihilate the cosmic manifestation and have a name appropriate to My activities. (52) Someone not conversant with this thinks that Brahmâ, S'iva and the living beings exist in separation and departs [impersonally in disregard of Me] from the notion of the one Supreme Self, the Supreme Brahman that is without a second. (53) The way a person never supposes that his head, hands and other parts of his body would have a separate existence, My devotee neither supposes that the living beings would exist separately. (54) He who does not consider the three [of Us] - who constitute the one nature of the Supersoul of all living beings - as separate [entities], oh brahmin, achieves peace.'

(55) Maitreya said: 'The foremost of all progenitors [Daksha] thus being addressed by the Supreme Lord Hari, after worshiping Him with due ceremony next worshiped the demigods [Brahmâ and S'iva] individually. (56) After with a concentrated mind having granted Lord S'iva his share of the sacrifice and after he also together with the priests, in order to round it off, had paid respect to the God-conscious souls and the others assembled there, he took the concluding [avabhritha] bath. (57) When he thus on the basis of his own belief had achieved the perfection of religious dutifulness, those three servants of God, who thus had inspired with intelligence, left for their heavenly abodes. (58) Satî, Daksha's daughter, was, after formerly having given up her body, (re)born from the wife of Menâ [or Menakâ] who lives in the Himalayas, so I have heard. (59) Because she felt no attraction for an other man, Ambikâ [Durgâ or Satî] as S'iva's beloved one, made sure to accept him again as her husband. For her he was the one goal, the original masculinity of the person that lies dormant in the external, feminine energy [of matter]. (60) This story about S'ambhu [Lord S'iva as the Lord of all living beings] who destroyed Daksha's sacrifice, I heard from a great devotee and disciple of Brihaspati: Uddhava. (61) The person who, after repeatedly having heard about these pure activities of the Lord, with faith and devotion also recounts them, will find fame and longevity and will, being freed from material contamination, find the destruction of his sins, oh descendant of Kuru.'

 

next                   

 
Third revised edition, loaded July 27, 2017.
  

 

 

Previous Aadhar edition and Vedabase links:

Text 1

Maitreya said: 'Lord S'iva, thus being pacified by Lord Brahmâ, fully being satisfied spoke with a smile, oh mighty-armed one.
Maitreya said: 'Lord S'iva thus pacified by Lord Brahmâ was fully satisfied, o mighty one; listen to what he, then smiling, said. (Vedabase)

 

Text 2

Mahâdeva said: 'I do not take offense at those whom I regard as children, I do not want to talk about or think about it, oh Lord of the created beings, I corrected the ones who were deluded by the external energy of God.

Mahâdeva said: 'O Lord of the created, I do not take offense to those whom I regard as children, I used the rod there for them who were deluded by the external of God. (Vedabase)

Text 3

Let there for the Prajâpati whose head was burned to ashes be the head of a goat and let Bhaga look at his share of the sacrifice through the eyes of Mitra.

LLet there be a head of a goat for the Prajâpati whose head was burned to ashes and let Bhaga see his own share of the sacrifice with the eyes of Mitra. (Vedabase)

  

Text 4

Pûshâ who led the sacrifice will have to eat chickpea dough or food chewed for him, but the godly souls who did grant me a share of the sacrifice will fully recover.

Pûshâ who led the sacrifice will have to eat chickpea dough or food chewed for him, but the godly ones who did grant me a share of the sacrifice will fully recover. (Vedabase)

 

Text 5

The two arms of the As'vins [the twin protectors of medicine] and the hands of Pûshâ are there for the priests and the others who have to miss their limbs and let Bhrigu have the beard of the goat.'

The two arms of the As'vins [the twin protectors of medicine] and the hands of Pûshâ are there for them who have to miss those limbs and Bhrigu and the other priests may have the beard of the goat.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 6

Maitreya said: 'All who at that moment heard what the best of the benedictors said, were fully satisfied, oh dear one. They said: 'Well spoken, well spoken!'

Maitreya said: 'All who at that moment heard what the best of the benedictors had said were in their hearts and souls satisfied, o dear one, and thus showed they, like we do, their appreciation. (Vedabase)

 

Text 7

Thereupon Lord S'iva was invited by the godly souls and the sages headed by Bhrigu and together they, with the Liberal One [S'iva] and the Lord of the Veda [Brahmâ], for the second time headed for the sacrifice they wanted to perform for God.

Thereafter was Lord S'iva invited by the godly ones and the sages again headed by Bhrigu, to attend to the sacrifice for the divinity and together with the Liberal One (S'iva) and the one of the Veda [Brahmâ] they went there. (Vedabase)


Text 8

After having performed all that Lord Bhava had told them to do, they joined the head of the animal of sacrifice with the body of Daksha.

Then they did it all, as Lord Bhava told them to, with the body of the living [Daksha] and the head of the animal of sacrifice. (Vedabase)

 

Text 9

Proceeding thus under the supervision of Rudra, King Daksha immediately regained consciousness like awakening from sleep and saw the compassionate Lord standing before him.

Proceeding thus was with that head King Daksha, under the supervision of Rudra, reawakened from his apparent state of unconsciousness, upon which he the compassionate one saw standing before him. (Vedabase)

 

Text 10

The very moment the Prajâpati saw the Lord who rides the bull, his by hatred polluted heart became as clean as a lake [filled by the rains] in autumn.

At that time became the polluted heart of the Prajâpati from seeing him, the Lord who rides the bull, as clean as a lake [just filled by the rains] in autumn. (Vedabase)

 

Text 11

Even though he wanted to  pray to Bhava, he with his eyes full of tears could not do so because of the great surge of feelings upon remembering the death of his daughter. 

Although decided to pray to Bhava, could it, with eyes full of tears, not be so because of the great surge of feeling upon remembering the deceased daughter. (Vedabase)

 

Text 12

After he with great effort managed to pacify his mind that was overwhelmed by love, the Prajâpati having come to his senses prayed to the Lord with praise and straightforward feelings.

With great effort as well pacifying his, of his love and affection bewildered, mind, prayed the Prajâpati who had come to his senses to him in praise with straightforward feelings. (Vedabase)

 

Text 13

Daksha said: 'What a great favor you have done me by punishing me. Despite the fact that you defeated me, you, nor Vishnu, oh Fortunate One, ever deny an unqualified brahmin [like me], so why would he who keeps to his vows [and performs sacrifices, suffer want]?

Daksha said: 'What a great favor you did me in punishing me for the wrong I did; although you defeat, you never deny not even an unqualified brahmin. Nor from you, nor from Vishnu, my Lord, there is neglect and thus there is certainty for the one engaged in sacrifice. (Vedabase)


Text 14

Oh great one, the brahmins were first created from the mouth of Brahmâ in order to disseminate the teachings of self-realization, vows and austerity. Therefore you with a stick in your hand protect them every time they are in danger, just like someone who protects his herd.

O great one, as the one who was created first from the mouth of Brahmâ in order to disseminate the teachings of selfrealization, the vows and the austerity, you protect all the brahmins, with a stick in your hand, like someone protecting his herd. (Vedabase)

 

Text 15

You who, by me unaware of your reality, were insulted in the assembly with the arrows of [my] unkind words, do not really take heed of that. Seeing me sliding down to hell because I defamed the most respectable one, you saved me out of compassion. I wish you to be pleased about what you did out of your own mercy, your Lordship.'

You who by me, not aware of your reality, was insulted in the assembly by the arrows of unkind words, do not really take heed of that; seeing me sliding down to hell by defaming the most respectable, you saved me out of compassion and about that what you did out of your own mercy, your Lordship, I wish you to be pleased. (Vedabase)

 

Text 16

Maitreya said: 'Daksha thus being forgiven by Lord S'iva, with the permission of Lord Brahmâ resumed the performance of the sacrifice together with the priests, the ones of learning and the others.

Maitreya said: 'Thus receiving forgiveness he, by Lord S'iva and Lord Brahmâ permitted the sacrifice, again began with it together with the priests, the ones of learning and the others. (Vedabase)
 
Text 17

In order to be purified from having been in touch with Vîrabhadra and his men and to perform the sacrifice meant for Vishnu, the best among the brahmins settled for the oblation called purodâs'a offered in three vessels.

To perform the sacrifice meant for Vishnu, did the brahmins settle for three kinds of offerings and offered they the oblation called purodâs'a in order to purify from having been in touch with Vîrabhadra and his men. (Vedabase)


Text 18

Oh Vidura, the moment the leader of the Yajña [Daksha] thus sanctified in meditation offered the clarified butter with the hymns of the Yajur Veda, Lord Hari appeared, the Supreme Personality.

O Vidura, the moment the leader of the yajña thus managed to sacrifice with the help of clarified butter and hymns from the Yajur Veda and in meditation was sanctified, appeared Lord Hari, the Supreme Personality. (Vedabase)

 

Text 19

The effulgence of all souls present there was at that time overshadowed by the brightness [spreading] in all the ten directions of Him who was carried by the enormous wings of Garuda [or Stotra].

At that time did all of them see the effulgence diminished of the ten directions because of the brightness of the effulgence of Him Himself, who was brought by Garuda [or Stotra] on his enormous wings. (Vedabase)


Text 20

With a dark complexion, garments  yellow as gold, a helmet dazzling like the sun, curling hair bluish like black bees, a face decorated with earrings, with a conch shell, a lotus flower, a disc and arrows, a bow, a club, a sword and shield in His hands and with His many golden ornaments, He looked like a blossoming tree.

With a dark complexion, garments like gold, a helmet dazzling like the sun, curling hair bluish like black bees, a face decorated with earrings, a conchshell, a lotus flower, a disc and arrows, a bow, a club, a sword and shield and many golden ornaments, did He, with all He had in His hands, look like a blossoming tree. (Vedabase)

 

Text 21

Garlanded with forest flowers He had His consort [Lakshmî] on His chest [in the form of His S'rîvatsa mark] and only a small glimpse of His magnanimous smiling glance was enough to please the entire world. At His side yak-tail fans looking like swans were being waved and above Him one saw a beautiful, moonlike white royal canopy.

Garlanded with forestflowers He had the woman [Lakshmî] on His chest and only a small part of His lofty smiling glance was enough to please the whole world; at His side there were white fans waving and above Him one saw a royal canopy as white as the moon. (Vedabase)
 

Text 22

Seeing Him arriving, all the demigods and the others led by Brahmâ, Indra and the three-eyed S'iva, immediately stood up from their seats and offered their obeisances.

After they saw Him arriving, all the demigods and the others led by Brahmâ, Indra and the three-eyed S'iva, immediately paid their respects by standing up from their seats. (Vedabase)

 

Text 23

Overshadowed by the luster of His glaring effulgence they all fell silent and full of awe touched their heads while bowing down to pray to Adhokshaja, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Outshone by the luster of His glaring effulgence, they all fell silent and filled with awe they touched their heads bowing to pray for Adhokshaja, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. (Vedabase)

Text 24

Even though His glory is beyond the comprehension of even Brahmâ and such, they now by His grace could see His transcendental form and offer their prayers according to their different capacities.

Though His glory is beyond the comprehension of even the powerful ones of the soul in their different capacities, they could now by His grace offer their prayers seeing His transcendental form. (Vedabase)

 

Text 25

Daksha seeking shelter was accepted with his honorable oblations of sacrifice for the master of all sacrifices, the supreme preceptor of all progenitors of mankind who is attended by Nanda and Sunanda [the most important servants of Nârâyana in Vaikunthha]. With great pleasure, with a subdued mind and with folded hands he then offered Him his prayers.

Daksha, who, taking shelter, was accepted with his rightful oblations of sacrifice unto the master of all sacrifices, the supreme preceptor of all progenitors of mankind who is attended by Nanda and Sunanda [the most important servants of Nârâyana in Vaikunthha], then with great pleasure, a subdued mind and with folded hands offered Him his prayers. (Vedabase)

 

Text 26

Daksha said: 'Your Lordship now fully present here have returned from the purity of Your  heavenly abode in a perfect transcendence above all mental speculation. You are the one without a second, the fearless controller of all matter, who seemingly impure are engaged with her [with Mâyâ] as the overseer and self-sufficient One.'

Daksha said: 'Your Lordship now present, from the purity of Your own abode in full having returned here in perfect transcendence above all mental speculation, are the one without a second, the fearless controller of all matter, who, with her [Mâyâ] having entered the impure, is for sure the overseer and self-sufficient One.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 27

The priests said: 'All of us, not conversant with the truth of You who are free from the influence of the material world, we who are of an intelligence that because of S'iva's curse is of a too great attachment to fruitive activities, oh Supreme Lord, now know about Your name [Yajña] that stands for the arrangement of religious sacrificing operating with the three departments [of the three Vedas] for the sake of which we are engaged in the worship of demigods [like the divinity of the sun and the moon].'

The priests said: 'All of us, not knowing about the truth of Your Lordship who is free from the influence of the material world, and being of an intelligence of too great an attachment to fruitive activities from S'iva's curse, o Lord, know now of the name [Yajña] of this symbolic arrangement of religious sacrifice that goes in three departments for the matter of which we are in worship of the demigods.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 28

The members of the assembly said: 'On the path of repeated birth and death we have no place to take shelter. We are greatly troubled by being bound to this formidable fort of the king of death [Yama] that is infested by ugly snakes and in which the mirage of the material happiness of having a home and a body constitutes a heavy burden. When we have to live by the double ditch of distress and so-called happiness, the fear for wild animals, the forest fire of lamentation over the interest of the ignorant souls and are afflicted with all sorts of desire, we, with You who gives shelter, enjoy the protection of Your lotus feet.'

The members of the assembly said: 'On the path of repeated birth and death we have no place to take shelter; we are greatly troubled in this formidable fort of being timebound, that is infested by ugly snakes and in which the mirage of the material happiness of a home and a body forms a heavy burden. When we have to live by the dual ditch of distress and so-called happiness, the fear for wild animals, the forestfire of lamentation over the interest of ignorance and are afflicted with all sorts of desire, do we, with You who gives shelter, have the protection of the lotus feet.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 29

Rudra said: 'Oh supreme benefactor, when I, desiring fulfillment in the material world, have fixed my mind on Your precious lotus feet that are cherished and worshiped by the liberated sages, I, with a compassion like Yours, attach no value to it when ignorant people speak against me.'

Rudra said: 'O supreme benefactor, if I, desiring fulfillment in the material world, have my mind fixed on Your precious lotus feet that for sure are cherished and worshiped by the liberated sages, do I, with a compassion like that of Yours, not attach any value to it when ignorant people complain about a lack of regulation.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 30

Bhrigu said: 'From Lord Brahmâ down to every other embodied being, all who, under the influence of the insurmountable material energy, are bereft of the knowledge of their original self, are submerged in the darkness of illusion. They, not seeing You as situated in the self, cannot understand Your situation as the absolute of reality. Oh Lord, You, as the friend of the surrendered soul, be kind to us.'

Bhrigu said: 'From Lord Brahmâ down to all other embodied beings are those, who, under the influence of the insurmountable material energy, are bereft of the knowledge of their original self, submerged in the darkness of illusion and not situated in the one soul; they cannot understand Your situation as the absolute of the reality. O Lord, You, as the friend of the surrendered soul, be kind to us.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 31

Brahmâ said: 'When one tries to see Your person, this original form of Yours cannot be perceived with the help of the different [sensual] virtues of respect for acquiring knowledge, for You, who constitute the basis of the knowledge and objectivity of the material qualities, must be regarded as differing from that what is made of material energy.'

Brahmâ said: 'Trying to see Your person, this eternal form of You cannot be known through the different virtues of respect for acquiring knowledge, for the perceivable of the instruments of knowledge and their material basis is all distinct in regard of You. (Vedabase)


Text 32

Indra said: 'This transcendental form, oh Infallible One, which is there for the welfare of the universe, constitutes a cause of pleasure to the mind and eye. You [after all], possessing the eight weapons held up by Your arms, chastise those who are hostile towards Your devotees.'

Indra said: 'Surely is this transcendental form, o Infallible One, there for the welfare of the universe and is it a cause of pleasure to the mind and eye as You, in the possession of the eight weapons held up by Your arms, punish those who are envious of Your devotees.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 33

The wives of the attendants of the sacrifice said: 'This worshiping in sacrifice as arranged by Brahmâ was devastated by Lord S'iva. May today the beauty of Your lotus-like glance, oh Lord of sacrifice, sanctify the sacrifice that by the anger against Daksha became as still as the dead bodies of the sacrificial animals.'

The wives of the attendants of the sacrifice said: 'This worshiping in sacrifice arranged by Brahmâ was devastated by Lord S'iva; may today the beauty of Your lotuslike vision, o Lord of sacrifice, sanctify what from the anger with Daksha became the stillness, alike that of the dead bodies of the sacrificial animals.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 34

The sages said: 'How wonderful, oh Supreme Lord, are Your activities to which You, in the exercise of Your potencies, are never attached. Nor is Your Lordship attached to the mercy of Your obedient servant, the Goddess of Fortune Lakshmî, for the grace of whom one is of worship.'

The sages said: 'How wonderful o Supreme Lord, are Your activities to the labor of which for certain You are in the execution of Your potencies never attached; nor is Your Lordship so with the mercy of Your obedient servant, the Goddess of Fortune Lakshmî, one is in worship for.'  (Vedabase)

 

Text 35

The perfected souls said: 'The elephant of the mind that, being scorched by the forest fire of [sensual] afflictions, is thirsty, having plunged in the river of the pure nectar of Your pastimes no longer remembers that misery and never wishes to come out, just like someone who merged with the Absolute.'

The perfected ones prayed: 'Immersed in the river of the mind of the pure nectar of Your pastimes do we as an elephant thirsty from the heat of a forest fire no longer remember that misery of being afflicted and do we as we are merged in the Absolute of it never wish to leave. (Vedabase)


Text 36

The wife of Daksha said: 'Be pleased my Lord with my respects for Your auspicious appearance, oh abode of the Goddess. With Lakshmî as Your wife You protect us. Our arena knows no beauty without Your arms, oh Lord, just like a headless person does not look very good with only a trunk.'

The wife of Daksha said: 'Be pleased my Lord with my respects for Your auspicious appearance, o abode of the Goddess; with Lakshmî as Your wife, You protect us. Our arena knows no beauty without Your arms, o controller, just like a headless person with a body only.' (Vedabase)

Text 37

The local rulers said: 'We doubt whether we can see You with our material senses. You, revealing Your eternal form, we regard as the inner witness by whose grace the entire illusory world can be seen, oh possessor of all, for You appear with the five elements as the sixth one.'

The local rulers said: 'In doubt of whether we have seen You with our material senses, You are, revealing Your eternal form, certainly seen as the inner witness from whom the entire world of illusion finds its certainty of existence, o possessor of all, as You with the elements appear as the sixth to the five of the senses.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 38

The masters of yoga said: 'They who deem no one as dear as You and see themselves as existing in You and not as separate from You, the Supersoul of all beings, oh master, are very dear to You. And how much more do You, oh loving parent, not value absolutely the faith of those souls, oh Lord, who devoted therewith are of worship?

The great ones of yoga said: 'Those who, from seeing no one as dear as they see You, see themselves as existing in You and not as being apart from You, the Supersoul of all beings, o master, are very dear to You; so much more You without fail favor those souls, o Lord, who with that are with devotion in worship, o loving parent. (Vedabase)


Text 39

We offer our obeisances to Him who by His personal appearance by means of His material potency determined the fate of each living entity depending his specific inclinations. Him we honor who appeared differently with the many material qualities for the sake of the creation, maintenance and annihilation of the material world and who in His absolute state turned away from the interaction of the basic qualities of matter.'

Unto Him in His personal form, who produced from His material energy in the living entities the destiny of their different inclinations, variegated by the many material qualities to the creation, maintenance and annihilation in the material world and who by His internal potency caused that interaction of the modes to stop, we offer our obeisances.' (Vedabase)
 

Text 40

The Vedas in person declared: 'Our respects unto You transcendental to the modes of nature who constitute the shelter of the quality of goodness and are the source of the austerity and penance in all religions. I nor anyone else really knows You or Your situation.'

The Vedas in person said: 'Our respects unto You who are the shelter of the quality of goodness and the source of the austerity and penance in all religions transcendental to the modes of nature; I nor anyone else does really know You or Your situation. (Vedabase)

 

Text 41

Agni, the fire god said: 'By Your effulgence I am as luminous as the greatest fire and may accept in sacrifice the five kinds of offerings mixed with butter. I offer my obeisances to Yajña, the protector of the sacrifices, worshiped by means of the five kinds of hymns of the Veda.'

Agni, the fire-god said: 'By Your effulgence I am luminous as the greatest fire and may I accept in sacrifice the five kinds of offerings mixed with butter; I offer my obeisances to Yajña, the protector of the sacrifices, worshiped by means of the five kinds of hymns of the Veda.'  (Vedabase)

 

Text 42

The demigods said: 'Formerly at the time of the devastation of the era [kalpa] when You as the Original Personality rested in the water and lay down on the snake bed Ananta S'esha, You withdrew into Your abdomen that what You had created and was estranged from You. You upon whom the liberated souls in their hearts meditate in philosophical speculations, we now see present here before our two eyes moving on the path of the protection of us Your servants.'

The godly said: 'Formerly at the devastation of the era [kalpa] did the liberated souls in their hearts meditate in philosophical speculation and conserving them, withdrawing them in Your abdomen, You in effect were certainly the Original Personality lying on the snakebed Ananta S'esha in the water taking rest; and now we see with our both eyes You moving on the path for the protection of us Your servants.' (Vedabase)


Text 43

The denizens of heaven said: 'Marîci and the great sages under the direction of Brahmâ as also Indra and the divinity led by S'iva, are to be considered parts and parcels of Your body, oh Godhead. May we unto the Supreme Almighty One for whom this whole creation is just a plaything, oh Lord, always be of respect and offer You our obeisances.'

The denizens of heaven said: 'Marîci and the great sages under the direction of Brahmâ and Indra and the divinity led by S'iva, are to be seen as parts and parcels of Your body, o God; may we unto the Supreme Almighty for whom this whole creation is just a plaything, o Lord, always be in respect and offer You our obeisances.' (Vedabase)
 

Text 44

The Vidyâdharas [basing themselves on knowledge] said: 'After with Your external potency having obtained the human body and with dwelling in the body, thinking in terms of 'I 'and 'mine', having misidentified himself with it, the ignorant person who takes the body for himself and is distracted by material possessions, also follows the wrong roads of seeking happiness in sense objects. But relishing the nectar of Your topics he can be delivered, even when he drifted far away from that position.'

The Vidyâdharas [lovers of knowledge] said: 'After, by Your external potency having obtained the human body and having misidentified himself being in the body thinking in terms of I and mine, does the ignorant person taking the body to be himself, follow even the wrong roads in distraction of material possessions, seeking his happiness in sense objects; but relishing the nectar from Your topics can he, even having drifted far away from that, be delivered.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 45

The brahmins said: 'You are the sacrifice, the offering of the clarified butter, the fire in person; You are the mantras, the fuel, the kus'a grass [to sit on] and the pots; You are the members of the assembly, the priests, the leader of the Yajña and his wife, the demigods and the sacred fire ceremony, the offering to the forefathers, the soma plant, the clarified butter itself and the sacrificial animal [see also B.G. 4: 24].

The brahmins said: 'You are the sacrifice, the offering of the clarified butter, the fire in person; You are the mantras, the fuel, the kus'a grass [to sit on] and the pots; You are the members of the assembly, the priests, the leader of the yajña and his wife, the demigods and the sacred ceremony to the fire, the offering to the forefathers, the soma-plant, the clarified butter itself and the sacrificial animal [see also: B.G. 4.24]. (Vedabase)

 

Text 46

In the past it was You who as the great boar incarnation [see canto 3.13] from within the waters lifted the world up on Your tusks as easy as an elephant picks up a lotus. Your sound vibration was by great sages like Sanaka arranged as an offering of prayers in the form of a sacrifice, oh knowledge of the Vedas in person.

In the past it was You who from within the waters, like an elephant does pick up a lotus, uplifted the world on Your tusks as the great boar incarnation [see canto 3.13]; playfully was the vibrating picked up by great sages like Sanaka as an offering of prayers in the form of a sacrifice, o knowledge of the Vedas in person. (Vedabase)

 

Text 47

You as that same person we ask to be pleased with us who, failing in performing the sacrifices, are awaiting Your audience. When one sings Your holy names, oh Lord of Sacrifice, one manages to overcome obstacles. Unto You our respectful obeisances.'

You as that same person, we ask to be pleased with us who are awaiting Your audience, having fallen down from performing the sacrifice. By the singing of Your holy names do persons, o Lord of Sacrifice, attain the destruction of obstacles; unto You our respectful obeisances.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 48

Maitreya said: 'Oh0 blessed one, with Hrishîkes'a [Vishnu as the Lord of the senses], the protector of sacrifices, thus being glorified, Daksha, having learned, arranged to resume the sacrifice that was devastated by Vîrabhadra.

Maitreya said: 'O blessed one, with Hrishîkes'a [Vishnu as the Lord of the senses], the protector of sacrifices, thus being glorified, did Daksha, purified, arrange to resume the sacrifice devastated by Vîrabhadra. (Vedabase)

 

Text 49

Oh sinless one, Lord Vishnu, the Supersoul of all beings and enjoyer of all sacrifices having received His share, was satisfied and then addressed Daksha.

O sinless one, Lord Vishnu, the Supersoul of all beings and enjoyer of all sacrifices, having His share, was satisfied and then addressed Daksha. (Vedabase)

 

Text 50

The Supreme Lord [Vishnu] said: 'I, Brahmâ and also Lord S'iva, do not differ [essentially] in being the supreme cause and Supersoul, the witness and the self-sufficient one of the material manifestation.

Lord Vishnu said: 'I, Brahmâ and Lord S'iva as well, do not differ in being the supreme cause and Supersoul, the witness and the self-sufficient one of the material manifestation. (Vedabase)

 

Text 51

I, having entered my own external energy that is composed of the modes of nature, oh twice-born soul, [thus] create, maintain and annihilate the cosmic manifestation and have a name appropriate to My activities.

I myself having entered my own external energy composed of the modes of nature, o twice born one, create, maintain and annihilate the cosmic manifestation and, according the activity, have a name to the cause for which I manifest. (Vedabase)

 

Text 52

Someone not conversant with this thinks that Brahmâ, S'iva and the living beings exist in separation and departs [impersonally in disregard of Me] from the notion of the one Supreme Self, the Supreme Brahman that is without a second.

He, the Supreme Brahman that is without a second, is as one Supersoul with both Brahmâ and S'iva, but the living ones who are not conversant with this, think of them as being separate.  (Vedabase)

 

Text 53

The way a person never supposes that his head, hands and other parts of his body would have a separate existence, My devotee neither supposes that the living beings would exist separately.

The way a person sometimes makes no difference between the head, hands and other parts of his own body, so does My devotee make no difference between living beings. (Vedabase)


Text 54

He who does not consider the three [of Us] - who constitute the one nature of the Supersoul of all living beings - as separate [entities], oh brahmin, achieves peace.'

He who of the three having one nature, verily, of the Supersoul in all beings, does not see the separateness, o brahmin, realizes the peace.' (Vedabase)

 

Text 55

Maitreya said: 'The foremost of all progenitors [Daksha] thus being addressed by the Supreme Lord Hari, after worshiping Him with due ceremony next worshiped the demigods [Brahmâ and S'iva] individually.

Maitreya said: 'The foremost of all progenitors, thus being addressed by the Supreme Lord Hari, then, after worshiping what was His with the necessary ceremony, separately worshiped the demigods. (Vedabase)

 

Text 56

After with a concentrated mind having granted Lord S'iva his share of the sacrifice and after he also together with the priests, in order to round it off, had paid respect to the God-conscious souls and the others assembled there, he took the concluding [avabhritha] bath.

Since he with a concentrated mind had worshiped Lord S'iva to his own share and by the act of performance together with the priests had completed it as well for the godly ones and the others assembled, then took the concluding [avabhritha] bath. (Vedabase)


Text 57

When he thus on the basis of his own belief had achieved the perfection of religious dutifulness, those three servants of God, who thus had inspired with intelligence, left for their heavenly abodes.

By as well granting the Supreme One His share, was thus for sure the perfection of the religious duty attained and did those three of divine service, this way having given the intelligence, leave for their abodes. (Vedabase)

 

Text 58

Satî, Daksha's daughter, was, after formerly having given up her body, (re)born from the wife of Menâ [or Menakâ] who lives in the Himalayas, so I have heard.

Satî, the daughter of Daksha, after formerly having given up her body, was born from the wife of Menâ [or Menakâ] who lives in the Himalayas, so I've heard. (Vedabase)

 

Text 59

Because she felt no attraction for an other man, Ambikâ [Durgâ or Satî] as S'iva's beloved one, made sure to accept him again as her husband. For her he was the one goal, the original masculinity of the person that lies dormant in the external, feminine energy [of matter].

As His beloved was Ambikâ [Durgâ or Satî], being attracted to no other, sure to accept him [S'iva] again as her husband, as the one goal, the original masculine of the person that lies dormant in the external feminine energy. (Vedabase)

 

Text 60

This story about S'ambhu [Lord S'iva as the Lord of all living beings] who destroyed Daksha's sacrifice, I heard from a great devotee and disciple of Brihaspati: Uddhava.

This story about S'ambhu [Lord S'iva as the one of all beings] who devastated the sacrifice of Daksha, I heard from a great devotee and disciple of Brihaspati: Uddhava. (Vedabase)

 

Text 61

The person who, after repeatedly having heard about these pure activities of the Lord, with faith and devotion also recounts them, will find fame and longevity and will, being freed from material contamination, find the destruction of his sins, oh descendant of Kuru.'

The person who, after hearing this pure pastime about the way of the Supreme, always with faith and devotion tries to recount it, will find fame, longevity and the destruction of his sins, being cleared of all material contamination, o descendant of Kuru. (Vedabase)
 

 

 

 

 

 

Creative Commons License
The text and audio are offered under the conditions of the
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.
The painting is an instructional plate representative of
the Supreme Personality restoring Daksha's consciousness
combined with scenes of what preceded the event. Hindu artist unknown.
The text was digitally removed.
Production:
Filognostic Association of The Order of Time


  

 

Feed-back | Links | Downloads | MusicPictures | What's New | Search | Donations